Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Why Essential Oils?

In 2012 the number-one cause of death in 17 US states was prescription drug abuse.
(Source: American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians)
 
This figure was made more staggering by an article I read this week. The new prescription drug, Zohydro, will be available next month. Said one expert, "It's a whopping dose of hydrocodone packed in an easy-to-crush capsule. It will kill people as soon as it’s released."

 
And from the FDA website:
 
Taking ZOHYDRO ER can cause opioid addiction, abuse, misuse, overdose and death, even if you take your dose correctly as prescribed.

 
 
Sounds lovely! Now, I don't believe everything I read. I share very little of controversial articles here. My point in sharing is not to debate fear mongering. But nor can I sweep under the rug the fact that prescription drug addiction is debilitating our society. We the people continue to demand symptom management and drugs are created and then prescribed as a result. Wouldn't it be refreshing if instead of drugs being prescribed for an instant fix, we could be encouraged instead to look at the whole body and fix it from the inside out?
 
Here is the problem I see with prescription drugs. Or any synthetically produced drug. They have limitations to be sure. They are made up of singular components that mimic those found in nature, causing side effects. One major effect being that of addiction. Essential oils, on the other hand are made up of hundreds of chemical constituents. They were created by God, not in a lab. They are a gift to us. The many components work together to support our body's amazing ability to heal itself.

 
Plant based medicine is not new. Remember the old adage, an apple a day keeps the doctor away? I am not as concerned about the doctor as the drugs he may prescribe. Real food, placed here for our use is the ideal medicine. My philosophy: prevention, prevention, prevention!  I have no doubt that heart disease and many cancers would not be the epidemic they are today if not for the chemical additives in our "food" that no longer resembles food. At least it is not what my great-grandmother ate.
 
Essential oils are a brilliant addition to plant based medicine. They have a beautiful chemistry that has kept plant species alive for millennia! The oils in the plants contain properties that ensure its survival. We can benefit from that as well as we use them on us, in us and around us. They contain properties that are anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and most importantly, anti-addictive! They are powerfully potent and one dose is just pennies per use.
 
 
Not all essential oils are created equally. Many will have absolutely no therapeutic benefit whatsoever. The majority of oils on the market are synthetic and are used specifically for a certain scent. Others are for food. Others say they are therapeutic and even 100% pure, but come up lacking. They come with a cheaper price tag which is appealing. But be warned, you get what you pay for. I have written more about that is the past. Click the following link to read more on how to choose an essential oil for therapeutic use.

We have chosen dōTERRA essential oils as a part of our daily lifestyle, keeping synthetics out of our home and our bodies. We have embraced a plant based approach to aches and pains, nasty bugs, and tummy trouble. There is no fear of any type of addiction or accidental overdose, even when used as directed. Just pure, powerful potency that my family can trust.

 I would love to hear your comments! Do you trust essential oils to be the answer to great health for your family? Why do you choose essential oils?


Do you find this "pinteresting"? Is it likeable?  Please consider following My Lamp is Full on Pinterest or  Facebook.

This post is partying with these awesome hops. Check them out for inspiration.

Disclaimer:
My only qualifications are
"Dr. Mom." Nothing I have written here can be construed as medical advice. It is not intended to treat or cure.

26 comments:

  1. Great article! The FDA are bought and paid for. I think they will approve anything if they get enough money. I personally love plant based medicine and essential oils. Will share on social networks. Have a wonderful healthy day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It is so fun to learn how many people do! I love meeting so many like minded folks!

      Delete
  3. Yes! Essential oils are the best solution in so many cases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Nicole. I know a lot of people who do not agree with me. They always say Go to the Doctor! I always use that as a last resort. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  4. I am enjoying learning more about essential oils. So glad I discovered them! I love how versatile they are. As you said, God created them! And what He created is good.
    It's kinda sad how we think we progressed so much as a society where we have so many new medicines, but those medicines have so many adverse side effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worst side effects I have heard of for essential oils is a rash or a stuffy nose. Not too serious! Certainly no suicidal tendencies associated with them!!

      Delete
  5. As a counselor of women coming out of prison and seeing the heartbreaking destruction that prescription pain meds is causing I could not agree more. We have been an essential oils family for a few years now and I have used them to help these women but tonight I am heartbroken to know that one of my ladies is out of the half way house and on the streets tonight because the drugs will not let her go. I am terrified to think what she will be addicted to by next week. She had everything and threw it all away for pain meds. She will stop at nothing to get them. Her own mother will not take her into her home. SHe is a middle class, well educated white woman of 51 and her life has been destroyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bless you for the work that you do. And Heaven help that woman. I am so sorry for what pain meds have done to her. My prayers to you and her!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Preach it sister, although I must say when my nose gets stuffed up I sniff that peppermint like an addict. At least the only side effect it has is leaving you smelling like peppermint, not a bad one to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha! That is me and my Orange oil! But I can live without it...maybe. Thank goodness I don't have to!!

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing with the Let's Get Real party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog is so full of wonderful information. I've been using oils on and off for years and know they work so much better than pharmaceuticals. Stopping by from the "From the Farm" hop, "lets Get Real" hop, too. YUMeating.com - the non Blogger blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So fun to learn of how many people have discovered these wonderful gifts of the earth. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. I use essential oils where I can. I'm always looking for natural remedies over other remedies. Thanks for sharing with Turn it Up Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it amazing that God gave us plant oils for a reason...he didn't give us man-made, money-making drugs to keep us healthy. He gave us all we need and we just need to learn how to use what he has provided.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Janine, I am so glad that your worte this article and brought to light the new pain medication coming onto the market. I just shook my head when I heard about this a couple of months ago. I have first hand experience with a family member who has been fighting pain pill addiciation for the past five years and it is a horrendous disease. What started the addiction? Prescribed pain pills after a traffic accident. Abuse of pain pills is an epidemic in the United States. People who are in recoverying from pain pill addicition can take this type of medicine again even though they may need something for pain. Many people who have had long-term pan pill addiction have damaged their liver so even over the counter meds are not an option. Targeting your information to recovering substance abusers would be so helpful! Thanks for sharing on Four Seasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a phobia. It is of being in a wreck and being given pain meds. It frightens the daylights out of me. I can't imagine what your family member is going through and pray she finds relief from such suffering. Thanks for sharing that Terri.

      Delete
  13. Ok as an asmatic and someone who has spent years with GERD, ( very bad heartburn ) I can say, while oils might be good for somethings, they are not everything. I would be dead, if not for prescribed medications for my asthma and GERD. I have been on life support twice for my asthma. I am alive because of modern healthcare. I would caution people, to judge everyone regarding pain medication, until you see someone dying from cancer. As with everything, moderation is the key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry for all you have suffered and glad that modern health care has been a good fit for you. I know that there are others who would still be alive today if they had chosen Essential oils instead of synthetic, addictive, chemical filled prescription meds. And I would argue that many a person could possibly avoid cancer in the first place if not for modern medicine, modern diet, modern toxins. Nothing I ever write is intended to tell someone what to do. Just let them know that there are other options. Thanks for your feedback.

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...